domingo, 4 de abril de 2010

*The Kinks (grupo ingles)



They put a parking lot on a piece of land
when the supermarket used to stand
before that they put up a bowling alley
on the site that used to be the local palais
that's where the big bands used to come and play
my sister went there on a saturday.

Come dancing,
all her boyfriends used to come and call
why not come dancing,
it's only natural.

Another saturday, another date
she would be ready but shes always make them wait
in the hallway, in anticipation,
he didn't know the night would end up in frustration
hed end up blowing all his wages for the week
all for a cuddle and a peck on the cheek.

Come dancing,
that's how they did it when I was just a kid,
and when they said come dancing,
my sister always did.

My sister should have come in a midnight
and my mum would always sit up and wait
it always ended up in a big row
when my sister used to get home late.

Out of my window I can see them in the moonlight,
two silhouettes saying goodnight by the garden gate.

The day they knocked down the palais
my sister stood and cried
the day they knocked down the palais
part of my childhood died, just died.

Now I'm grown up and playing in a band
and there's a car park where the palais used to stand
my sisters married and she lives on an estate
her daughters go out, now it's her turn to wait
she knows they get away with things she never could
but if I asked her I wonder if she would.

Come dancing
come on sister, have yourself a ball
don't be afraid to come dancing
It's only natural.

Come dancing
just like the palais on a saturday
and all her friends will come dancing
where the big bands used to play.

The Kinks fue un grupo musical británico formado en Londres en los años 60 por los hermanos Ray Davies y Dave Davies. Desde sus primeros tiempos estaban muy influidos por el Rock and roll y el Rhythm & blues americanos. En 1964 consiguieron su primer nº 1 en las listas británicas con "You Really Got Me". Esta canción ha permanecido como una de las más significativas de la década de los 60 y su sonido es considerado precursor del Hard rock. Aunque los Kinks no alcanzaron tanta fama como los Beatles o los Rolling Stones, el genio, como compositor, de Ray Davies es comparable al de Lennon & McCartney.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario